Friday 4 December 2015

The person who inspire me the most

Both of my parents have been an inspiration to me with all their sacrifices and hardships but for this post, I would like to talk about my dad. My dad has always been a strict and stern individual, ever since I was young he would always discipline me with physical punishments usually by using the “rotan” (The malay word for cane or caning).

I still do remember those punishments to this day but as I mature and grow older, I do understand why I was discipline in such a way as I was a very naughty and obnoxious child and always had constant quarrels with my other siblings. I also know that my dad also received the same punishment as me when he was young (more severe from what I heard) from the stories my grandfather told me.I have much respect for my dad as out of all his siblings, he was willing to take in both of his and my mum’s parents into our household. Especially after my grandmother (father’s mother) passed away, he instinctively took my grandfather into our household.

Both of my grandfathers were bed ridden and they had to have constant care for their well being. I could understand why they were always grumpy half the time as they were always restricted to their beds. Sometimes they would not cooperate when it comes to daily chores like changing of clothes and taking medicine as it has become quite a burden to them. Nonetheless, despite my dad’s long working hours and the constant bickering of me and my four siblings, he would always be there for them and their well being. He would always take the initiative to manage their activities of daily living like giving them baths and even cutting their toenails.

It was very unfortunate that both my grandfathers passed away in the same year in our household. Through all the constant squabbles and sometimes scoldings from them, he was their only child that was present before they had their final goodbyes. Despite it being a very sad experience, it was a very important lesson for me as when my grandfather was about to pass away, I could see how thankful he was when my father sat beside him and was there for him till the very end. It made me realise that even though taking care of the elderly is not an easy task, the satisfaction and gratitude that comes from taking care of your loved ones is something irreplaceable.

I am very proud of you Dad J

Muhammad and Dad

2 comments:

  1. Hi Muhammad,
    Wow such inspiring and good post! I could definitely see love and respect from your side to your father. By the way, we had the very same idea of using our parents as our inspiration since they are our very first role model and care taker that we looked up to first even as a baby. Love your dad more aight!
    Cheers,
    Sha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story of your family, Muhammad. From what you write I would agree that your father certainly is a role model.
    You have every right to be proud!

    ReplyDelete